Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 887) allows people who have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia to live anywhere in Australia permanently. To provide assistance to temporary and provisional visa holders, who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic due to travel restrictions, the Migration Amendment (COVID-19 Concessions) Regulations 2020 dated 17 September 2020 [“the Instrument”] was passed to amend the Migration Regulations 1994 and accordingly, Part 2 of the Instrument amended provisions regarding Subclass 887 visa.
From 19 September 2020, COVID-19 concessions apply to lodgement and eligibility requirements for eligible prospective applicants for Subclass 887 visa. The following changes are applicable:
- Visa holders and former visa holders (Subclass 489, Subclass 475, Subclass 487, Subclass 495 or Subclass 496), whose visas expired during the Concession Period, may apply for Subclass 887 visa while outside Australia
- Grant of Subclass 887 visa to applicants outside Australia
- Concession for visa holders and former visa holders, whose visas expired during the Concession Period, from the requirement to live in a specified regional area for two years
- Full-time work requirement in a specified regional area reduced from 12 months to 9 months
For this purpose, the Instrument defines Concession Period as ‘the initial concession period’ commencing from 01 February 2020, being the date when first travel restriction was announced in response to COVID-19 by the Australian Government.
Eligibility for Subclass 887 Visa
- Have a previous eligible visa
- Have complied with conditions of your eligible visa
- Meet residence requirement
- Meet work requirement
- Meet health and character requirements
- Meet English Language requirements
- Not have had visa cancellation or a previous visa application refusal
Currently, the Department is assessing applications submitted before 19 September 2020. If you lodged your visa application before 19 September 2020, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. However, if your application was lodged on or after 19 September 2020, you can be in or outside Australia when the Department makes a decision on your application.
Advantages of Subclass 887 Visa
- Live, work and study in Australia
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- Enrol in Medicare
- Bring eligible relatives to Australia permanently
If you want to know more about this visa or are seeking assistance for migrating to Australia, Contact Us or call us on (+61) (02) 4626 100 to speak to one of our Registered Migration Agents in Sydney to discuss your options.