On 10 July 2020, the Victorian Government has announced AUD $534 million economic survival and jobs package to support businesses and workers in the State. This is in addition to previously announced assistance of AUD $1.7 billion and other range of government assistance including support for job seekers and renters, setting up AUD $45 million International Student Emergency Relief Fund for international students facing financial hardship during the crisis, relaxation of work hours, relief payments for temporary visa holders, support for multi-cultural and multi-faith families, and public housing support.
The ‘Support for Businesses’ package includes:
- Refund of full payroll tax to small and medium-sized businesses for the Financial Year 2019-20.
- Defer payment of payroll tax by small and medium-sized businesses until 1 January 2021 for the tax of first three months of the Financial Year 2020-20 2021.
- Connect businesses that need staff with prospective workers through the ‘Working for Victoria’ initiative.
- Access to Business Support Fund to support the hardest hit sectors and other small businesses.
- Access free online courses, live and on-demand events and other business resources through the ‘Upskill My Business’ initiative.
- Financial support to tourism operators affected by temporary lockdowns due to COVID-19 through the ‘Tourism Accommodation Support Program’.