According to the Department of Home Affairs (DoHA), the Commissioner of ABF (Australian Border Force) has granted travel exemption to 2937 of the total 4002 requests for outbound travel from Australia for the period 25 March 2020 to 06 May 2020.
For overseas travel by Australian citizens and permanent residents, travel exemption from the Commissioner of ABF is required:
- To respond to the COVID-19 outbreak;
- To conduct critical industries and business;
- To receive urgent medical treatment (not available in Australia);
- To attend urgent and unavoidable personal business;
- To serve the national interest;
- For compassionate or humanitarian grounds.
For inward travel exemption, the Commissioner of ABF has granted travel exemption to 6872 of the total 7134 requests for the period 02 February 2020 to 06 May 2020 for various categories such as business leaders, compassionate grounds, critical skill requirement, diplomatic travel, medevac patients, students, Protection Visa holders and transit through Australia.