Share This

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Working holiday visa allow young adults to have an extended holiday in Australia while being able to work here to fund their trip. Generally, there seems to be a misunderstanding when it comes to working holiday visas to Australia. It is important to know that there is not one but two working holiday visas: Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462).

If you are seeking assistance in these visa categories, Discuss your Case with us today.

To be eligible to apply for this visa you must:

  • Hold passport from an eligible country
  • Be 18 to 30 years old (both inclusive). However, Canadian, French and Irish citizens who can be up to 35 years old
  • Have sufficient funds to support yourself while you are in Australia
  • Meet health & character requirements
  • Not be accompanied by dependent children
  • Not have previously entered Australia on a Subclass 417 or Subclass 462 visa
  • Not have had a visa cancelation or refusal of a previous application

Working Holiday Visa can be granted for up to 3 times

  • First Working Holiday Visa
  • Second Working Holiday Visa
  • Third Working Holiday Visa

If you have previously been in Australia on a Subclass 417 visa, you must have undertaken 3 months of specified work during your first visa to become eligible for a second Working Holiday visa. Accordingly, you must have undertaken 6 months of specified work during your second visa to become eligible for a third Working Holiday visa.

There is no fourth Working Holiday visa. Thus, if you want to stay longer in Australia, Contact Us to discuss options for your further stay.

For this visa, you must lodge an application online. Further, you must apply for this visa when you are outside Australia and you must be outside Australia when a decision is made on your application.

List of countries whose passport holder are eligible to apply for this visa
BelgiumRepublic of Ireland
Republic of CyprusJapan
DenmarkRepublic of Korea
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holder)Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland


To know more, visit our FAQs page.

 Advantages of Working Holiday Visa

  • Stay in Australia up to 12 months
  • Study for up to 4 months
  • Undertake short-term work to support your trip
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times

If you are not sure if you are eligible for this visa or which documents are required, Contact Us so we can help you in applying for your visa.

If you are from a country that is not eligible for the Working Holiday visa, you might be eligible for a Training Visa (Subclass 407)  Training visa which allow you to come to Australia if you wish to enhance your skills in an eligible occupation.

The visa may be dependent on your location, so if you are not sure about which visa to apply for or which documents are required, call us at +61 2 46261002 or Contact Us to speak to our migration specialists.

Share This